Packaging games is apparently not a game

I have another blog about board games and app games, and I do like to try out a few new games each month.  Lately, I've noticed that the boxes the games come in have been sporting more and more weird icons.

I was going to just write about the cute symbols used to state the age range, estimated game time, and how many players can play a game.  These are high on the list of simple criteria for choosing the right game.  Anne & I have no use for a game with a minimum of 3 players, or one that's estimated to take 3 hours.  Age range isn't really that important, since some of the kid's games on the market are the most fun, with clever twists on themes.  There is clearly no industry standard for these icons, as they have no regulatory value.  The variety used by different game makers is appealing.




Then there are actual regulatory markings, and I was surprised at how many there are.  The big two are the CE logo for meeting Euopean market manufacturing guidelines, and after the UK left the European Union in 2020 they now have the new UKCA logo for the same reason, with very nearly the same requirements.  




Here is a good overview of the CE and UKCA marks.  I have not been able to identify those three middle icons on the red box above yet.  To my creative eye they look like "going around in circles", "lions are cool" and "try not to fall asleep" but I'm sure I will find them soon.

Check out this pack of Minecraft Uno cards:

This one was made in Latin America, it had to pass the INNAC product testing board. This is mandatory for toys made for children, as well as a list of industrial items.

The FSC mark is from the US Forest Stewardship Council regarding the making of paper from recycled stock or sustainable sources.

The Uno deck even had little icons to show the contents of the box.  112 cards and an instruction booklet.  And a recycling logo that seems to say you should just throw the cards up in the air and see where they land.

Finally, There's often this choking hazard symbol, which is shown here in a variety of languages.

This is a surprisingly rich area, and all these elements have to fit on boxes that are sometimes quite small.  I will post any new ones I come across.

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Live Downstream

Need More Nines

Yield Signs: Flow Chart Style?